Friday, January 14, 2011

7 Things You Should Make......Not Buy

When it comes to living a simpler life it just makes sense to make things more often than buying them. With this thought of mind I am definitely of the mindset to go big, or go home.
So more often than not, I go home.
Actually…I never really LEAVE home…to get the things I would need to make. It’s that initial investment of time & money that hangs me up. (Of course once I’ve done it once, it’s easy peasy & just becomes routine.)
I actually have an entire documented list of all the simple/natural/green things I’d like to accomplish or methods I’d like to adopt. The list keeps growing; I’ve yet to cross something off.
Then I came across this article on one of my favorite websites.
Many of the things listed in this article are ones that I have already jotted down on my own list.
So that’s it, I’m going for it. I’m going to start making something of my own. This weekend.
I just can’t decide which will be first, cleaning supplies, hair gel or bread. Seeing as I just recently replenished my supply of ALL of these (minus the cleaning supplies we’re still currently using in an effort to deplete what we have, and then replenish with a homemade version, or purchase a more earth/baby friendly version).
Making some homemade bread sounds yummy, and Tyson keeps dropping hints that he likes homemade bread. So maybe I’ll go for that. (And if I mess it up, there are two recently purchased store-bought loaves in the chest freezer.) The last loaf I tried to make I royally messed up, but I am willing to try again!

On a different subject, yet not quite that different, I would like to report that I’ve been successfully reducing trash and composting for the past few weeks. I still don’t have my nifty counter top compost pail, but I don’t HAVE to have the coolest gadgets to reduce my waste. (I’ll just make Tyson walk out to the compost pile, in the snow, every other day in the mean time!) But really, we’ve seen an immediate change in how much trash we AREN’T tossing, and that makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Peanut Gallery Says...