Thursday, December 23, 2010

Very Grateful This Week

I am forgoing the list of what I’m grateful for this week. I have something else on my mind.

Tonight I rocked G for a few extra minutes after she fell asleep. I soaked in every second of having her there in my arms. I’m grateful that I have little opportunities to snuggle my baby and tuck the images back in my mind.

When she was a newborn I spent too much time worrying. Mostly I worried over if she’d never sleep through the night. Heck, worrying that she’d never sleep anywhere but in my arms. That I would never again have any time to get anything done.

Tonight I sat in that rocking chair, thinking about how 8 months ago I was sitting in that same chair with a teeny baby wishing she’d let me put her down. And now I struggle to hold her for more than 30 seconds without her WANTING to get down. (Unless she’s asleep! Ah ha!)

I know, all too soon, she will be too big for me to wrap my arms around her & rock in that chair while she sleeps. Too big to let me kiss her forehead after we read a bedtime book. Too big for me to even be involved in her bedtime routine at all.

I am grateful for a happy, healthy, bouncy, beautiful baby girl. I am grateful for the memories that I’ll always be able to hold on to, even when I can’t hold on to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Peanut Gallery Says...