Friday, November 19, 2010

Mama Don’t Take My Kodachrome

Over the past 5 years have hemmed and hawed about starting a photography business. Photography is something I have loved since I was in my early teens, and thank goodness, I’ve continued to learn new things, improve and find joy in it.
Often I’ve had people suggest I do it professionally. I’ve kind of done that now & then in my life. I went up the ranks at Picture People, though they don’t really encourage artistic creativity, at least not in the way my OWN business would allow & demand. I worked for a wedding photographer, and I’ve helped out a friend with her studio. But none of that has filled the little hole in my soul that wants to make photography what I DO.
In case you haven’t noticed, I think big thoughts. I often don’t follow through. I get scared, realize I’ve taken on too much, or just get overwhelmed at all the necessary steps involved. Usually when I start to think about how much I would love my own business & career, I shut down. Beat myself up. Spend the next few days telling myself I’m not good enough to *charge* people to take their pictures. It will take me a couple weeks to recover from this self-degradation before I touch my camera again.
Truth is, I’m okay at it, I guess. (*stares at floor while I shuffle back & forth*) I lack in proper equipment & computer programs, but with time all those things can be upgraded. I really have no desire to photograph weddings. Honestly, it is way too much pressure for me and that in turn takes the joy out of what I love. I enjoy photographing families, children, babies….they are what matter most to me, in my life, so naturally I would want to spend my time & talent capturing these important things for other people. 
Last weekend I photographed my Grandparent’s 50th Wedding Anniversary Party. It wasn’t a difficult task, and I knew they’d be pleased with whatever they ended up with. They just wanted photos of the event. Much to my surprise, after sitting down at my grandfather’s computer and editing the photos, they actually looked professional. I was, and still am, very pleased with myself.



 

 




My biggest hurdle, really, is time. I work 40+ hours a week, at a job I actually enjoy. I don’t enjoy the full time hours, and would love the opportunity to work part-time at my “job” and spend other time on my family and business. I’m also a new mom. In my opinion this first year is so very important, and I don’t want to miss any more time than I have to.
Maybe down the road, as my babies get a little older (heck I need to have more babies first) and as Tyson finds his place in this world, God will give me the opportunity to do this. In the meantime I’ll keep clicking away, because that’s better than nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Peanut Gallery Says...