I heard about a great idea today, and it made me wish we’d be trick or treating this weekend. (The idea of doing so with a 7 month old sounds not only pointless, but exhausting!)
So instead I share this with you all, in hopes that someone will do it for me. Instead of eating ALLLL that candy you’ll accrue this weekend (or have left over), consider sending some to our troops deployed overseas.
When Tyson was in the navy he gave me the advice to send lots of snacks in his care packages, because when someone got a package it was a big deal & they would all share the snacks that arrived. So I imagine that some candy could go a long way. (Though not sure how the chocolate candy would fair, it takes about a month for packages to arrive and well….it’s hot in the desert…or out on the ships in the gulf.)
Operation Gratitude puts the care packages together themselves, and they’re accepting Halloween candy donations. So all you need to do is drop it in the mail and let them do all the work.
Or you can add a little more “stuff” with your candy and create your own care package using anysoldier.com (which has links for the other branches also). I didn’t have much time to browse the site, but you’re able to search for troops based on branch, the state they're stationed in, etc. You get to choose who to send the packages and it’ll list what they need. Pretty cool.
I’m glad I came across these ideas before the holidays, I’d like to put a box together and get it out pretty soon. My heart aches when I think about these troops spending holidays away from families. Tyson & I never had to spend a Christmas apart, luckily, but I do remember that Thanksgiving & other holidays were difficult. I can only imagine what it feels like to wake up Christmas morning and know you’re missing this time with your family. If I can take an hour or so & $20 out of my life to brighten a solider (or sailor, marine, or coastie)’s day…why the heck not.
I encourage you all the do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment
The Peanut Gallery Says...