Thursday, October 28, 2010

Concen........huh?

Concentration has been eluding me this week. Okay, it’s been eluding me since last July when I found out I was pregnant, but this week has been especially taxing on that part of my brain.
I have not been lacking such concentration that I caught myself looking up blogs, searching to see if drinking hard water is the reason for our cat’s weight loss, completing DMV paperwork (oh and the actual trip to the DMV is a whole other story!), working on posts for this here blog, or finding local organic farms, all while I’m at work.  Nope. Not me. I work diligently for all 8 hours.

In my defense this work week has been a little stressful, and I’ve occasionally needed a brain break.

It also had me wondering if this is a post-partum affect. (It seems excessive to have a 7 month old and still make post-partum excuses for myself, but oh well.) I know that pregnancy plays around with your concentration. So in keeping with this week’s tradition, I looked it up, while at work. And the answer is…………. Pregnancy & post partum can mess with your thyroid function, which in turn can mess with your concentration. I had hypothyroidism before pregnancy, and since giving birth we’ve been adjusting my medication level because it has in fact been totally outta whack. So there! *insert juvenile tongue sticking out here* I have a medical excuse for looking up Christmas gift ideas at work. (Gosh I hope no one from work ever finds this blog!)

I still can’t seem to find out how long you’re considered post-partum. I only found one source that said it was the 6 week period after giving birth. I beg to differ. My body is still recovering. Anyone know the answer to this? I guess it could just be called motherhood, right?


Please forgive me if this post has more zigs & zags than a mogul ski course, I had half a cup of non-decaf coffee this AM (with the most yummiest pumpkin spice creamer) and I’m feeling the effects right now. I am flying high. There’s a reason I stick to decaf. I needed to run to Target on my lunch break, maybe the driving should wait until I calm down a little bit.

And caffeine is supposed to aid concentration, not with me apparently!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Peanut Gallery Says...